An awning on an RV can provide much needed shade and protection from the elements. However, over time the fabric of the awning can become worn and faded, making it necessary to replace it. Replacing the fabric on an RV awning is a fairly simple process that can be completed in just a few steps.
What You’ll Need
Before beginning the process of replacing the fabric on your RV awning, you’ll need to gather the following materials:
- RV awning fabric
- RV awning roller tube
- RV awning arms
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Socket set
Steps to Replace Awning Fabric
- Measure the awning fabric- Begin by measuring the existing awning fabric. Measure the width of the fabric, as well as the length from the roller tube to the bottom of the awning. Make sure to use a measuring tape and record the measurements in a notebook or on a piece of paper.
- Purchase the replacement fabric- Using the measurements, purchase the replacement fabric from a local RV store or online. Make sure to get the correct size and type of fabric to ensure a proper fit.
- Remove the old fabric- Once the new fabric has been purchased, it’s time to remove the old fabric. To do this, first loosen the tension on the arms by turning the tensioner screws counterclockwise. Then, unscrew the arms and remove them from the roller tube.
- Cut the new fabric- Using the measurements taken earlier, cut the new fabric to the correct size. Make sure to leave a few extra inches on the sides to ensure the fabric is the correct size.
- Sew the new fabric- Once the fabric is cut, it’s time to sew it onto the roller tube. To do this, use a sewing machine to sew the fabric onto the roller tube. Make sure to leave a few extra inches of fabric at the top and bottom.
- Attach the arms- Once the fabric is sewn onto the roller tube, it’s time to attach the arms. To do this, use a Phillips head screwdriver and a socket set to attach the arms to the roller tube. Make sure to tighten the tensioner screws until the arms are secure.
Replacing the fabric on an RV awning is a fairly simple process that can be completed in just a few steps. All that is needed is the correct materials and tools, as well as a few hours of time. By following the steps outlined above, you can have your RV awning looking like new in no time.